Level 3 - Spine & Upper Quadrant Course
getting great dry needling results and aspire to extend your skills to a greater range of clients?
aware of your technical limitations and professional responsibility to stay within your scope of practice?
This course is designed for those who have attended a Level 1 Introductory Course and a Level 2 - Advanced Spine & Lower Quadrant Course, and are wanting to treat a greater variety of conditions involving the upper quadrant. With up to 80% of presentations having a musculoskeletal involvement; be they Mums & Dads, weekend warriors, committed athletes or vocational injuries, dry needling is a ‘must have’ skill to assist them to recover.
"It was very beneficial to broaden my clinical skills, refine my grasp of surface anatomy and expand my awareness of the effects of trigger points on myofascial pain and paresthesias"
Sharelle Rippingale - Physiotherapist
After completing this course you will;
- Understand why the latest Cochrane reviews emphasise the involvement of dry needling in the treatment of headache, and how to apply this information
- Confidently be able to differentiate through palpation the anterior and posterior cervical tubercles and needle the scalenes
- Learn techniques to enable safe needling of muscles that arise from the rib cage
- Understand muscle activation around the TMJ and how to treat using dry needling
- Integrate cervical trigger points using a facilitated segment paradigm
- Learn referral patterns, clinical tests, home programs for over 30 common clinically presenting muscles
This course is not a ‘technique’ course. You will learn and apply your skills of observation, palpation, surface and 3D depth anatomy, clinical reasoning and exercise progression to appropriately manage clients successfully. Doug brings together all these skills as a specialist musculoskeletal physiotherapist with over 30 years as a full-time practising clinician and researcher.
Additional Bonus – Living Anatomy Wet Lab Workshop
This is truly a unique opportunity to put together surface anatomy with 3D depth anatomy. Bringing together a dry needling clinician and cadavers in the same room provides you with the opportunity like never before to put theory and clinical practice together.
Full benefits include;
- Opportunity to examine in detail specimens selected in world-class facilities
- Opportunity to revise and enhance your visualisation and understanding of applied neuromusculoskeletal and regional anatomy
- Anatomy of the specimens explained in detail by Doug Cary - Course Director
- Opportunity to discuss and share your knowledge with colleagues and experienced dry needling practitioners
- Lab coats and surgical gloves provided, closed shoes required
At the end of the day, we treat human 3D bodies and you can only get so much information from 2D books. One of the most common comments from past participants was "wouldn’t it be great to have wet lab anatomy sessions to coincide with advanced courses in dry needling," and now you have it! This is the first and only program in Australia offering this important course inclusion.
"Within my first 12 months as a new physiotherapy graduate, I completed the Level 1 Introductory, Level 2 Spine and Advanced Lower Quadrant and Level 3 Spine and Advanced Upper Quadrant needling courses with Doug. For me, the most valuable part of each course was the revision of in-depth anatomy. This included detailed body drawings, revising cross sections, and attending a wet lab at UWA. Particularly being a new graduate, it was so beneficial to cement and apply what I had learnt at Uni.
I must admit – like many others, I had always had a fear of needles. However, focusing on the theory behind needling, practising the technique and experiencing the benefits, has made me more comfortable with needles. This has allowed me to confidently recommend needling as an option to people who are scared and/or sceptical. Doug also provided a take-home DVD which is useful to refer to.
My advanced spinal needling courses consisted of only four participants, which was fantastic. It allowed us to assess and practice on different body types under the guidance of Doug; who is so knowledgeable and approachable. Being a small group made him easily accessible within such a relaxed environment. We casually talked over case studies, some of which were relevant to needling and other more complex cases. We bounced around ideas and were guided by Doug as to the current best practice and clinical reasoning.
The Advanced courses were held at the Bendat Community Centre in Osborne Park. The venue was easy to find with multiple FREE parking just outside the front door. How good!
I would highly recommend Doug’s needling courses. Even if you aren’t the biggest fan of needles, do it for the anatomy. It’s easy to forget how complex the body can be. And also... because Doug is ledge - thanks, Doug!"
Britt Pethick - Physiotherapist
Click here for our recommendations of books to assist your study.
Course Participation Requirements
- Due to the presumed anatomy knowledge, advanced palpation skills and structure of these courses, our minimal education standard is a degree course or higher in an area of the medical sciences (e.g. physiotherapy, osteopathy, chiropractic, medicine, podiatry)
- You are required to provide current registration with your national professional body (not an industry body)
- You are required to have public indemnity insurance as per your professional bodies minimum standard
- For these reasons, graduates of human movements, exercise physiology, nursing, remedial & therapeutic massage are ineligible to apply and AAP Education recommends you seek a course focused only on simple dry needling techniques
Continuing Professional Development
AAP Accredited course: 22 hours National Registration CPD requirements.
This comprehensive two-day course builds upon knowledge gained in the Level 1 Introductory and Level 2 - Spine & Lower Quadrant Course, focusing on the head, TMJ and neck, thoracic spine, shoulder girdle and upper limb.
- Includes detailed colour and referenced course e-manual (Value $85)
- Fully catered meals and refreshments
- Includes all associated needle supplies
- Includes bonus Level 3- Spine & Upper Quadrant Course Techniques DVD (Valued at $100.00)
- Includes discounted option (50%) Living Anatomy Workshop on Mon Feb 11 at UWA 6-8 pm (Valued at $80). Please register for this workshop and use the coupon code provided in your Level 3 Spine and Upper Quadrant Course confirmation email.
- Course numbers are limited to 14 to maximise learning transfer
An AAP Education Accredited Course. National AHPRA CPD hours 22.
|Event End Date||Tue-12-Feb-2019|
|Location||Bendat Community Centre|
|Ticket Type||Price||Available place|
AAP Education Member
Free lifetime AAP Education membership + benefits with course
New & Recent Graduate
Graduate of the past 2 years
Rural & Remote Clinician
Eligibility = rural zone RA 3/4/5. http://www.doctorconnect.gov.au/internet/otd/publishing.nsf/Content/locator. Free lifetime membership + benefits with course