Rehabilitative Ultrasound Level 1
Our courses are presented by Mr. Peter Esselbach who has over 20 years experience in private practice medical sonography, both as a practitioner and as an educator. He is also a physiotherapist with 8 years experience in private practice, specialising in musculoskeletal and sports physiotherapy. So Peter brings uniquely together the technical world of US and the clinical application of sports physiotherapy.
So how does US fit in your practice?
Real time ultrasound imaging is a growing diagnostic modality which is increasingly accessible to physiotherapist and other medical practitioners. However recent surveys have shown that most users have limited training. In a University of South Australia survey, 26.7% of all respondents had RTUI training with most completing two hours or less of training (Physiotherapy Res Int. 2008 Dec;13(4):231-40).
Rehabilitative Ultrasound Imaging - Level 1
This 2 day introductory seminar is for Physiotherapists, Chiropractors and Osteopaths, Nurses and other Allied Health Professionals with an interest in using ultrasound imaging as a diagnostic and rehabilitative tool in their clinical practice. The format features didactic lectures, demonstrations and hands-on scanning tuition in small groups.
This course is ideally tailored to health professionals with no or limited experience in rehabilitative and diagnostic ultrasound, and those currently using ultrasound whom wish to reinforce and grow their knowledge base.
"I really enjoyed the AAP Ultrasound Course and would highly recommend it as an introduction to Ultrasonography in Clinical Practice. Peter was an excellent learning facilitator, and presented clearly, allowing adequate time for demonstration and practice. I completed the weekend feeling that I had the ability to develop the new skills I have acquired and stimulated to explore using them to improve my understanding of some of the conditions I treat as well as my clinical practice. Real-time ultrasound is a valuable “window” into functional anatomy."
"I really enjoyed the Ultrasound Course. And thought Peter was a great tutor. I got to work Monday and stayed late to go through some ultrasound on the unsuspecting receptionist! I felt quite accomplished with the pelvic floor and transversus. After the course, I was disappointed though to find that at our clinic we only have a lower end unit and no flat head. So am left a tad frustrated at not being able to scan anything other than the transversus and pelvic floor. As I said above though, I really loved the course and learnt lots which I can apply, so thank you for taking the time to organise a very informative weekend."
At the conclusion of this course you will be able to:
- Be competent with operating and optimising your ultrasound unit
- Image and assess the lumbo-pelvic musculature
- Image and identify relevant anatomy of the shoulder, hip and knee
- Demonstrate effective imaging and assessment of various soft tissues, including tendons, muscles and bursa
- Demonstrate muscle contraction and relaxation
- Identify various pathologies including haematomas, muscle, tendon and ligament tears, tendinopathies and complications of healing
- Identify bony pathologies such as small fractures
- Identify foreign bodies and assess for soft tissue infections such as abscesses
- Assess dysfunctional patterns in muscle recruitment around the lumbo-pelvic, shoulder and hip musculature, and know how to retrain these patterns
- Understand the limitations of diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound imaging and when further expertise is clinically warranted
- Document your imaging via electronic storage
- Utilise ultrasound imaging to help make appropriate management decisions according to the clinical situation
Curriculum – Theory and Practical Outcomes
- Basic instrumentation required to optimise an ultrasound image and record images
- Appropriate transducer usage and manipulation
- Assessment of normal and pathological tissue with ultrasound including tendon, muscle, joints, bone, ligaments, skin, lymph nodes, blood vessels, nerves and fascia
- Ultrasound imaging of the lumbo-pelvic, shoulder, hip and knee musculature, including rehabilitative imaging techniques to retrain dysfunctional muscle patterns
- Rehabilitative ultrasound imaging to facilitate appropriate exercise prescription
- Principles of foreign body localisation
- Assessment of complications of healing including fibrosis, calcification and infection
- Understand the limitations and pitfalls of diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound imaging
Resources & Assessment
A course manual including all lecture material is provided to all attendees. Practical tuition is in small groups using portable ultrasound machines. Pre-reading articles are provided and a pre-test and post-test will be conducted as part of the formal assessment.
This course is CAHPU accredited for:
- Basic Soft Tissue Ultrasound for Nurses
- Basic Soft Tissue Ultrasound for Physiotherapists
Registrants requiring CAHPU accreditation should contact ASUM .
Two ultrasound case studies and a white paper titled "New Frontiers in Real Time US" written by Peter are available on this page after course enrolment, as part of your pre-reading materials.
Rehabilitative Ultrasound Videos
Video discussing usage of realtime ultrasound to assist evaluation of muscles involved in scapular kinematics
Video demonstrating the use of real time ultrasound on the anterior neck flexors
Registration Saturday 8.45am.
This course is designed to provide a detailed overview and application of ultrasound for practitioners with an interest in motor control of pelvic floor plus diagnosis, rehabilitation and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries. It also provides a powerful feedback and motivation technique for clients - as they can see the difference when you compare their injured side to normal side.
An AAP Education Accredited Course. National CPD hours 16.
|Event End Date||Sun-12-Aug-2018|
|Location||Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital - Physio Department|
|Ticket Type||Price||Available place|
AAP Education Member (free m'ship)
Free lifetime membership + benefits with course
Rural and Remote Clinician
Eligibility = rural zone RA 3/4/5. Free lifetime membership + benefits with course
New & Recent Graduate
Eligibility = graduated 2016/7. Free lifetime membership + benefits with course