Presented by Mr. Mark Oliver (certified Mulligan concepts teacher), this 2 day practical workshop provides participants with new examination and treatment skills for orofacial pain and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders.
Appropriately trained Physiotherapists can assist greatly in management of temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD). The manual therapist must have a sound knowledge of TMJ and orofacial anatomy, the role of postural disorders and spinal dysfunction on TMD, the ability to perform and evaluate an eclectic physical examination and the ability to carry out appropriate physical treatment. In addition, the manual therapist must have a sound appreciation of dental management of TMD and be able to fit effectively into a multi-disciplinary dental treatment team.
The purpose of this course is to provide Physiotherapists with the appropriate knowledge and skills to carry out an effective, precise TMJ evaluation and treatment plan.
Specifically, participants will learn relevant orofacial and TMJ anatomy, biomechanics and neurophysiology; to identify specific TMJ movement disorders, to prescribe specific muscle retraining exercises, and to perform appropriate soft tissue techniques.
In particular, new TMJ mobilisation with movement techniques developed by the presenter will be taught. These techniques are used to provide a sound clinical reasoning for examination and treatment of TMJ disorders, and conform to Mulligan concept principles rendering them gentle and safe.
- At the completion of this course, participants will have a good understanding of applied anatomy of the orofacial osseous, ligamentous and neuromuscular systems as they relate to the TMJ
- At the completion of this course, the participant will have an understanding of the aetiology and nature of TMJ neuromusculoskeletal disorders
- At the completion of this course, participants will have a good understanding of how whole body function and posture can contribute to TMJ dysfunction
- At the completion of this course, participants will be aware of the current literature related to physical examination and treatment of the TMJ. An up to date reference list will be provided
- At the completion of this course, participants will have a basic understanding of the Mulligan concept of mobilisation with movement and the clinical reasoning process it is based on
- At the completion of this course, participants will be able to confidently perform a basic evaluation of the TMJ and related orofacial musculature
- At the completion of this course, participants will be able to perform basic mobilisation with movement and self –mobilisation with movement treatment techniques for the TMJ
- At the completion of this course, participants will be able to prescribe and implement a basic neuromuscular stabilisation and functional control exercise program for the TMJ and integrate the programme with treatment of other areas of the body
- At the completion of the course, the participant will have an appreciation of how physical therapists should fit into a multi-disciplinary team treating temporomandibular disorders
Course Pre Requisites
The course will be of value to all Physiotherapists who have an interest in orofacial pain, TMJ dysfunction andn experience in the Mulligan's concepts.
The course will include all necessary elements for inexperienced clinicians to become proficient in use of the concept. Experienced clinicians will learn new treatment techniques and develop advanced clinical reasoning strategies for the orofacial region.
Rural & Remote Professional Development Support
See Rural Workforce Support Agencies for details in your state or territory.
This 2 day practical workshop will provide participants with a greater understanding of how the tMJ functions plus new examination and treatment skills for tempromandibular dysfunction. Like The Pelvis, the TMJ is often ignored as a source of symptoms and dysfunction and while not a common presentation, as a well rounded clinician, knowing how to assess and treat these two areas is very important.
Course hours are Saturday 8:45 - 5:00pm and Sunday 9:00 - 3:00pm
An AAP Education Accredited Course. National CPD hours 16.
|Event Date||Sat 12 Jun, 2021|
|Event End Date||Sun 13 Jun, 2021|
|Location||SCGH - Physio Department|
|Ticket Type||Price||Available place|
AAP Education Member
Free lifetime membership + benefits with course