Brian Mulligan Examination And Treatment For The Upper Quadrant
Along with the Lower Quadrant, this course forms one of the two 'core' units of the Mulligan Concept Program. Presented by Mr. Mark Oliver (certified Mulligan concepts teacher), this 2-day practical workshop provides participants with new examination and easy to apply treatment skills.
The unique examination and treatment techniques were developed by New Zealand physiotherapist Brian Mulligan for the upper limb and cervical spine. Specific techniques taught include NAGs, SNAGs, MWMs and PRPs.
Mark has had the privilege of Brian’s mentoring since 1981 which continues to this day. He is Australia's most experienced Mulligan Concept teacher having taught the approach intensively since 1988.
- At the completion of this course, participants should have a good understanding of the Scandinavian concept of joint mobilisation.
- At the completion of this course, participants should have a basic understanding of the Mulligan concept of mobilisation with movement and the clinical reasoning process it is based on.
- At the completion of this course, participants should have a basic understanding of the “Pain Release Phenomenon” (PRP) concept and be able to perform PRP techniques to structures of the upper limbs and cervical spine.
- the completion of this course, participants should be able to perform basic mobilisation with movement and self – mobilisation with movement treatment techniques to joints of the upper limb, cervical spine, thoracic spine and ribs.
- At the completion of this course, participants should be able to perform NAGs and SNAGs to the cervical spine.
- At the completion of this course participants will be expected to be aware of the current research and publications related to the Mulligan concept.
- At the completion of this course, participants should be able to perform spinal mobilisation with arm movement techniques.
- At the completion of this course, the participant should be able to apply appropriate Mulligan Concept techniques to the upper cervical spine for headaches and autonomic phenomenon associated with upper cervical dysfunction.
Participants are required to;
- Have a sound knowledge of human anatomy and biomechanics
- Be fully aware of the contraindications to manual therapy and adhere to appropriate examination and treatment guidelines
- Comply with the most important Mulligan Concept guideline: When applying a Mobilization with Movement (MWM) technique, if you take up the slack and it is painful, DO NOT PROCEED
- Possess competent handling and communication skills, to facilitate patient compliance with instructions
- To treat other participants with the same care and respect accorded to patients
- Take personal responsibility for any conditions you may have that might be exacerbated by practicing manual therapy skills: INFORM YOUR FELLOW PARTICIPANTS
This 2 day practical workshop provides participants with new examination and treatment skills for cervical & upper thoracic spine, shoulder, elbow, wrist & hand.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARTICIPANTS
It is a prerequisite for this course that participants own a copy of Brian Mulligan’s book "Manual Therapy- NAGS, SNAGS, MWMS etc" (Plane View Services, Wellington, NZ, Revised 6th 2010).
If you do not possess a copy, this can be purchased prior to the course via online via our Textbook Recommendations page and delivered to your home enabling revision before the course, or Mark can bring one to the course, but they must be pre-ordered by email. Please pay Mark with cash on the day.
If you have a mobilising belt, please bring it. Mark can also provide a heavy duty, good quality belt ($30.00). Again pre-order and pay Mark on the day.
An AAP Education Accredited Course. National CPD hours 16.
|Event End Date||Sun-07-Oct-2018|
|Location||Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital - Physio Department|
|Ticket Type||Price||Available place|
AAP Education Member
Free lifetime membership + benefits with course
Rural and Remote Clinician
Eligibility = rural zone RA 3/4/5. Free lifetime membership + benefits with course
New & Recent Graduate
Eligibility = graduated 2016/7. Free lifetime membership + benefits with course