Dr. Philip Gabel
Phil is a full-time Sports and Spinal Physiotherapist with a PhD in outcome measures and bio-psycho-social screening. He works in small general Physiotherapy practice in Coolum on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.
He completed his PhD through the University of the Sunshine Coast, investigating the link between bio-psycho-social screening and outcome measures and the prediction of recovery with a focus on compensation and sporting patients. Phil has 14 papers published and in press, in the areas of screening and outcome measures for the upper limb, lower limb and spine, and the interrelation between these areas.
In addition, Phil completed a Research Masters on upper limb outcome measures in 2000 and has further research work in the fields of;
- ‘Slackling’ as a rehabilitation modality
- Conceptual theories on the interrelation between stability and movement
- Differential torsion and loading within the aquatic rehabilitation environment
- The role of sleep and recovery on the cardiac function and recuperation for tapering training for swimmers
- The effects of laser therapy in the clinical environment for pain, fertility and smoking cessation
Phil is a Credentialed McKenzie Therapist, Acupuncture and Aquatic Therapist with a Grad Dip Research in Laser Therapy, a Manual Handling instructor and former Research Fellow at James Cook and Griffith Universities.
Phil has been a physiotherapist for Australian teams at World Championships for triathlon and part of the treating Physiotherapy group for the London Olympics Organisation and the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games. A former professional triathlete, World Champion in Quadrathlon and an Australian Team member to triathlon world championships, he continues his sporting passions through body surfing, surfing and sampling chocolate.
Phil is also the designer of ADVISE Rehab, a Web-based Decision Support Software program.